Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
University of Pittsburgh Greensburg    
2017-2018 Greensburg Campus Catalog 
  Mar 04, 2024
2017-2018 Greensburg Campus Catalog [Archived Catalog]


Requirements for Full-Time Admission

Applicants for full-time admission must have completed 15 units of college preparatory courses in grades 9 through 12, including a minimum of four units of English, one unit of algebra I, one unit of plane geometry or algebra II, one unit of history, one unit of a laboratory science, four units of the same second language*, and four units of academic electives. A unit refers to one year of study in high school.

The Office of Admissions strongly recommends that students take three or four years of mathematics in high school (including two years of algebra), two or three years of science, two or three years of history or other social studies, and four years of a single second language.

*Note: Applicants who do not meet the second language component of these requirements may still apply for admission. If admitted, students will be required to complete an equivalent number of units of a second language at Pitt-Greensburg.

Students who hold a GED and wish to be considered for full-time admission must have completed the minimum of 15 academic units before exiting high school. Official high school transcripts and a copy of the General Equivalency Diploma are required.

Students interested in engineering should have taken two years of algebra, one-half year of trigonometry, and one year each of plane geometry, chemistry, and physics. In addition, calculus and computer science are recommended.

Students interested in Nursing should meet the following academic criteria and must have the required high school courses: 3.2 Minimum High School GPA, 1170 Minimum SAT score, four units English, Four units Math, Three units lab science (one must be chemistry) , and Five units of other academic electives (stats or computer science strongly recommended)

Students who have completed courses through a college-in-high school, dual enrollment, or similar program must submit an official transcript from the college or university from which credits were awarded, whether or not it is intended that such courses be counted toward a degree at the University of Pittsburgh. (Please refer to the Transfer Student section below for information about transfer credits.)

Factors considered when making an admission decision include: high school curriculum, cumulative grade point average (weighted), class rank, and SAT and/or ACT scores. Though optional, applicants are strongly encouraged to submit an admission essay and/or letters of recommendation as these often provide a more complete picture of the applicant.

Requirements for Part-Time Admission

Courses may be taken on a part-time basis for credit toward a degree or on a non-degree basis. Part time admission to degree programs is open to high school graduates or those who hold recognized equivalency certificates (GED). While no specific high school preparation is required, the following secondary school subjects are recommended: four years of English, four years of a second language, three years of history and social studies, one year of algebra, one year of plane geometry, and one year of physics, chemistry, or biology.

Note: Applicants with incomplete high school preparation may qualify for admission by taking the examinations given by the Pennsylvania Department of Education and earning a high school equivalency certificate (GED). Information about these examinations may be obtained by writing to: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, Department of Education, Bureau of Special Services for Pupils, Division of Guidance and Testing, Harrisburg, PA 17102, .

Transfer Students

Students who have earned credit at another institution before entering or since last registered at Pitt-Greensburg must apply to the Office of Admissions for admission or readmission with advanced standing. An applicant who has earned 12 or less college credits is considered a freshman with advanced standing. Those students who have earned more than 12 college credits are typically considered transfer students. An official transcript of all courses taken at other schools must be submitted at the time of application, whether or not it is intended that such courses be counted toward a degree at the University of Pittsburgh. These credits are not merely units to be added to those earned here. To be accepted, credits must be the basis for, or an integral part of, the program the student expects to pursue for a degree from the college. Courses must be passed with a satisfactory grade (at least a C or the equivalent) and must be earned at an institution accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting association. Grades for such courses are not used in computing a student’s GPA or in determining probationary status or eligibility for graduation honors. Evaluation of previous credits are performed by the Assistant Director of Admissions or an academic advisor.  All credits eligible for transfer are subject to the following regulations:


Application Procedure

Full-Time Admission

Candidates for full-time admission must:

  1. Complete the Application for Undergraduate Admissions and choose full-time.
  2. Forward your high school transcript to the Office of Admissions.
  3. If applicable, submit official transcripts for every post-secondary institution, college or university you have attended.
  4. Submit a $45 application fee.
  5. Admission essay and/or letters of recommendation are optional, but recommended.

Part-Time Admission

Candidates for part-time admission must:

  1. Complete the Application for Undergraduate Admissions and choose part-time.
  2. Forward your high school transcript or original GED score to the Office of Admissions.
  3. If applicable, submit official transcripts for every post-secondary institution, college or university you have attended.
  4. Submit a $45 application fee.

Transfer Admission

Candidates for transfer admission must:

  1. Complete the Application for Undergraduate Admissions and choose Transfer (as well as indicating status of full or part-time).
  2. Forward your final high school transcript or original GED score to the Office of Admissions.
  3. Submit official transcripts for every post-secondary institution, college or university you have attended.
  4. Submit a $45 application fee.

Changing Part-Time Status to Full-Time Status

Students admitted to part-time study may become candidates for full-time study upon approval from the Director of Academic Advising. Students must complete a change-of-status request and submit it to the Director of Academic Advising at least one month before the beginning of the term in which they wish to begin full-time studies.

Special Programs

University Preview

  1. Students must be a high school junior or senior in good standing; the minimum age is 16.
  2. Written permission is required from a high school counselor or principal and parent.
  3. Available courses are listed online under University Preview or Dual Enrollment.
  4. Students may take no more than one course per term (fall, spring or summer).

To apply, a student must submit an application, $45 application fee, official high school transcript, SAT or ACT scores (if applicable), current curriculum, class rank and permission letters. Students are then evaluated for admission. Once admitted, students will contact the Academic Advising Center to schedule classes.

Deferred Admission

Admitted students who still plan to attend Pitt-Greensburg but wish to postpone their initial registration for up to one year may request deferred admission. Requests for deferred admission should be in writing and directed to the Office of Admissions. Students who receive deferred admission but who do not register within a year of their initial acceptance at Pitt-Greensburg must reapply for admission. Students deferring ad,ission may not attend another university before beginning study at Pitt Greensburg.

Early Admission

High school students who have completed most of the requirements for graduation by the end of their junior year in high school may apply for early admission. A decision on early admission requires: (1) the approval of the Admissions Committee, (2) the consent of the student’s parents/guardians, and (3) the approval of the school district superintendent that the student may forgo the senior year in high school and complete high school graduation requirements with college courses.

Visiting Students

Guest students are those who are working toward an undergraduate degree at another institution and wish to take undergraduate courses at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. It is expected that the credits earned at Pitt-Greensburg will be transferred back to the home school to be used in satisfying the student’s degree requirements. Guest student applicants must be in good academic standing at the home institution with a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA on a 4.00 scale and must provide certification that the home school will accept the University of Pittsburgh courses in transfer. Guest students may register for any University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg course for which they have satisfied the prerequisites. Applicants must complete an Application for Admission and select Student Type as Visitor, provide a current copy of their undergraduate transcript. Admission is valid for one term. Students seeking enrollment for subsequent terms must reapply. There is a one-time application fee of $45.

International Students

International students should follow the appropriate application procedure as outlined above and select the appropriate citizenship information on the application form. They must also complete the special application and forms available from the Office of International Services (OIS) at Both the Pitt-Greensburg and the OIS applications should be sent directly to the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg. 

Among the admission requirements for international students is proficiency in English. For citizens of a country whose official language is not English, proficiency can be demonstrated by a minimum score of 550 on the paper version of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or a minimum score of 213 on the computer-based version, or a minimum score of 80 on the Internet-based version of TOEFL. International students seeking further training in English should consult the English Language Institute located on the Pittsburgh campus.

Second Undergraduate Degree

Those who have completed a bachelor’s degree at an accredited institution can earn a second degree at Pitt-Greensburg. A maximum of 90 of the 120 credits required for the second degree may be granted as advanced standing from the credits earned for the first degree. A minimum of 30 credits and half of the credits in the new major must be completed at Pitt-Greensburg. The second degree must be in a field different from the first degree.

All second-degree students must fulfill all of Pitt-Greensburg’s curricular requirements as well as prerequisites for a degree in the new major either by transfer of credits or by taking Pitt-Greensburg courses.

Students with less than an overall B average for the first degree who cannot fulfill the nine-credit communication skills requirement with transfer courses must fulfill it at Pitt-Greensburg either by challenge examinations or by taking the appropriate composition and public speaking courses.

College Over 55

Adults at least 55 years of age who love to learn are invited to take part in the “College Over 55” program through which adults can audit regular undergraduate courses. “Audit” means the adult learner earns no credit and generally does not participate in homework and exams. Adult learners can take advantage of interesting lectures, meaningful discussions, readings on fascinating topics and continued intellectual growth.  Participants may select available classes from the Pitt-Greensburg schedule and pay only $25 for each course.  For additional information and to register, contact the Office of the Registrar, 724-836-9899.


The Office of the Registrar assists veterans, war orphans, and veterans’ dependents in obtaining and using their VA educational benefits. Applications for benefits may be obtained from veterans’ service organizations, the Office of the Registrar, Department of Veterans’ Affairs regional offices at 1-888-G1-BILL1, or at

Veterans must apply on VA form 22-1990 Application for Education Benefits. This application must be accompanied by a certified copy of their DD-214 Report of Separation form. DD-214 forms must be certified by a county court house official or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs regional office. Active duty service persons may also apply on VA form 22-1990. The form must be signed by the applicant, as well as his/her education officer and his/her commanding officer. Eligible members of the Selected Reserve must provide the Office of the Registrar with a copy of VA form 2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility.

Surviving spouses, sons, and daughters must apply on VA form 22-5490 Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance. Upon receipt at the Regional Processing Center, the applicant will be notified concerning his/her eligibility.

Further information on veterans’ benefits can be obtained from the Office of the Registrar.

Catalog Navigation