Javascript is currently not supported, or is disabled by this browser. Please enable Javascript for full functionality.

Skip to Main Content
Hint: Scroll To View More  
COVID-19 response: While the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg remains closed to the public, the campus is in operation for the 2020-2021 academic year. Learn how Pitt-Greensburg is building a healthy and resilient community. Campus Operational Posture:
Guarded Risk

University of Pittsburgh Greensburg    
2018-2019 Greensburg Campus Catalog 
  Oct 30, 2020
2018-2019 Greensburg Campus Catalog [Archived Catalog]

Academic Procedures and Policies

Three-Term Calendar

The Greensburg campus makes its educational resources available to students year-round by operating on a three-term rather than a two-term academic calendar. The approximate beginning and ending dates for the three terms are:

  Fall Term Late August through mid-December
  Spring Term January through late April
  Summer Term & Sessions May through early August

A greater variety and number of classes will be available during the fall and spring terms than during the summer term. The summer term provides students with the opportunity to supplement their course work or to make up any academic deficiencies.

Summer Orientation and Registration

Freshmen admitted for the fall term are required to attend one of the Summer Orientation and Registration (SOAR) sessions held during the summer preceding enrollment. During SOAR, students become familiar with the campus and the academic programs and receive their schedules for fall courses.

Math and English Placement

Almost all students will take a writing and mathematics course during their first semester. Students will be assigned to a course level that is appropriate to their backgrounds and abilities in writing and mathematics. The placement for writing courses will be based on SAT evidence-based reading and writing scores, and placement for mathematics courses will be based on the score earned on the ALEKS mathematics placement test.

Full-time students admitted for the fall term are required to take the mathematics placement exam prior to attending their selected Summer Orientation and Registration session. Part-time students and full-time students admitted for the spring or summer terms take the math placement examinations prior to registering for a math course.  More information can be found using links on the Orientation website or clicking HERE

Academic Advising

Upon acceptance to the University, full-time students are assigned an advisor from the Academic Advising Center or from their academic program who will help them select courses that are consistent with their objectives and qualifications. About the time students earn 45 credits, they are expected to declare the program of studies or major they wish to pursue. At this time, students will be assigned to faculty advisors who either teach in the fields of interest or specialize as advisors in those areas. Students are required to meet with their advisors during the enrollment period for each term, but advisors are available throughout the term for conferences with students. Students are urged to meet with their advisors frequently to discuss career plans as well as problems. Part-time students are advised by the advisors in the Academic Advising Center. Appointments for advising and/or enrollment conferences may be scheduled by calling the Academic Advising Center at 724-836-9940.


During the enrollment period in the fall and spring terms, students select and enroll in their courses for the upcoming terms. Enrollment typically occurs during October for the spring term, in February for the summer term, and in March for the fall term.  First-term freshman students receive their initial schedule for the fall term during SOAR.  All full-time students are expected to meet with an advisor who will assist them in selecting appropriate courses. Students must have their course selections approved by their assigned advisors in order to complete the enrollment process.

Student Responsibilities in the Advising and Registration Process

Students are ultimately responsible for the successful planning and implementation of their academic program. This responsibility includes satisfying prerequisites for chosen courses, taking the appropriate courses to meet general education and major requirements, and abiding by the guidelines and policies of the University and the Greensburg campus. Students are expected to be generally familiar with the contents of this publication, as well as with the updates provided on the Web or through information sheets. Students should be aware of basic degree and major requirements, information about the registration process, and the rules governing changes in registration, etc. Students should maintain a personal file containing information about their academic progress and current registration. Students are also responsible for making appointments with their advisors during the registration period for each semester.

Counseling Services

In addition to Academic Advising, the Office of Academic Affairs also provides learning skills assessment and tutoring services through the Learning Resources Center and counseling and accommodations for students with documented disabilities through the Office of Disability Services.

Pitt-Greensburg’s Office of Student Services offers additional counseling services that include personal counseling, group counseling, and career counseling. The Counseling Center offers personal counseling to assist students who have problems or concerns in areas such as transitioning to college life, anxiety, parental and peer relationships, emotional or social conflicts, academic difficulties, and other issues.  Group counseling is provided to address specific issues including stress and time management and eating disorders. Community resources are also used when appropriate. On-campus services also include career counseling with individual assessment of aptitudes, interests, and work values, discussion of internship and other experiential education opportunities, and collaborative placement activities with the Pittsburgh campus.

Other Opportunities for Earning Credits

In addition to the courses students take on the Pitt-Greensburg campus, students have a variety of options for earning credits that apply to a Pitt-Greensburg degree or for simply taking college-level courses. These options include the following:

Cross Registration at Cooperating Local Colleges

Cross registration gives students access to courses that are not available at Pitt-Greensburg. Students may cross register at Seton Hill University and Westmoreland County Community College (WCCC). Cross registration is limited to one course per semester and is available only during fall and spring terms and only to full-time students. Students must abide by the academic policies of the host institution in selecting cross registration classes. Both the grades and credits earned at the host institution are transferred to Pitt-Greensburg. There may be limitations on the ability of Pitt-Greensburg juniors and seniors to cross register for classes at WCCC. Students interested in cross registration should consult with their advisors at the Academic Advising Center.

Credit by Examination

Students may earn credits toward graduation not only by taking and successfully finishing courses, but also by taking special examinations. Three types of special examinations are used at Pitt-Greensburg: Challenge Examinations, the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and the Advancement Placement (AP) program of The College Board.

  1. In Challenge Examinations, students take a test for a specific course offered by the Greensburg campus. Each test for credit by examination must be arranged with the department teaching the course for which credit is desired. Departments set their own policies as to the specific courses for which students may request challenge examinations, the time and type of the examination, and the number of courses among those required for the major for which credit may be earned by examination.

    Students may not take credit examinations for material presupposed as prerequisites for admission. If students have mastered, during their high school careers, material that is traditionally covered in a college course and that is not required for college admission, they are allowed to attempt to obtain credit by examination for it, provided that the course is one for which the department accepts credit by examination. Credit by examination cannot be obtained, however, for a college level course for which credit has already been awarded, nor can it be used to alter a grade already received. Credit may not be earned by examination in lower-level sequence courses when the student has already obtained credit for a higher-level course in the sequence. Students are not permitted to audit courses without registering and then apply for credit by examination.

    Students wishing to earn credit by examination should consult the department in which the course is given and then obtain the requisite form from the Office of the Registrar. There is a fee for the examination - whether or not credits are earned.
  2. The purpose of the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) is to enable those individuals who have attained college-level education in nontraditional ways to assess their achievement and use the test results in seeking college advanced placement credits in a selected program of study.

    The University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, cognizant of the diversified backgrounds of its student population, uses the general examinations of CLEP as a means of evaluating adult candidates for advanced placement after admission to the University. The general examinations consist of five areas: English composition, humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and mathematics.
  3. Students who participated in the Advanced Placement (AP) program of The College Board may request college credit by asking the Educational Testing Service to forward their AP scores to the Pitt-Greensburg Office of Admissions. For students enrolled in Pitt Greensburg majors, credits based on AP tests will be awarded as shown in the table below. Awards for other majors, such as engineering, may be somewhat different.
Discipline AP Exam (Code) Score Credit for Cr.
Art Studio 2-D (A2AP) 4, 5 SA 0110 3
  Studio 3-D (A3AP) 4, 5 SA 0120 3
  Drawing (ADAP) 4, 5 SA 0130 3
  History (AHAP) 3, 4, 5 HA&A 0010 3
Biology Biology (BSAP) 4 BIOSC 0070, 0170 4
    5 BIOSC 0070, 0170, 0080, 0180 8
Chemistry Chemistry (CHAP) 3, 4 CHEM 0110 4
    5 CHEM 0110, 0120 8
Computing A (CAAP) 3, 4, 5 CS 0402 3
  AB (CBAP) 3, 4, 5 CS 0402 3
Economics Macro (EEAP) 4, 5 ECON 0110 3
  Micro (EIAP) 4, 5 ECON 0100 3
English Language and Composition (LAAP) 4, 5 ENGCMP 0010 3
  with 600 on SAT-V 5 ENGCMP 0010 & ENGLIT 0000 6
Env. Sci. Env. Science (ESAP) 4, 5 GEOL 0860 3
French Literature (FLAP) 4, 5 Check with Department -
  Language (FRAP) 4, 5 Check with Department -
German Language (GRAP) 3 GER 0001 3
    4 GER 0001 4
    5 GER 0001 5
History European (EHAP) 4, 5 HIST 0100, 0101 6
  United States (AMAP) 4, 5 HIST 0600, 0601 6
Latin Catullus & Horace (LCAP) 4, 5 LATN 0220 3
  Virgil (LVAP) 4, 5 LATN 0220 3
Math Calculus AB (MAAP) 3, 4, 5 MATH 0220 4
  Calculus BC (MBAP) 3, 4, 5 MATH 0220, 0230 8
Music Listening & Lit (MLAP) 3, 4, 5 MUSIC 0211 3
  Theory (MTAP) 3, 4, 5 MUSIC 0411 3
Physics B (PHAP) 3, 4, 5 PHYS 0110, 0111 6
  C Mechanics (PMAP) 4, 5 PHYS 0174 4
  C Electricity & Magnetism (PEAP) with 4, 5 on C Mechanics 4, 5 PHYS 0174, 0175 8
Political Science Comparative Government (CGAP) 4, 5 PS 0300 3
  U.S. Government (UGAP) 4, 5 PS 0200 3
Psychology Psychology (PSAP) 3, 4, 5 PSY 0010 3
Spanish Literature (SLAP) 4, 5 Check with Department -
  Language (STAP) 4, 5 Check with Department -
Statistics Statistics (SSAP) 4, 5 STAT 0200 4














College of General Studies Online Courses

The College of General Studies (CGS) Online Courses exist for people who cannot attend class every week due to job requirements, family responsibilities, or transportation constraints. CGS Online Courses are offered in Web, Hybrid and Self-Paced formats which differ in the amount of face-to-face instruction (none or monthly Saturday meetings), use of the Web for instruction and discussion, and flexibility of scheduling. See for more details. Online courses taken through CGS carry the same credit as those at the Greensburg campus; they are taught by regular University faculty. Various support mechanisms have been developed to provide for additional instructor contact and for course related communication to students via mail and telephone as well as e-mail and course Web sites. Admission requirements are identical to those of Pitt-Greensburg.

Hybrid Courses

All hybrid/blended courses must provide 50% or more of the instruction in a face-to-face modality. For a three credit course this would amount to 22.5 hours of face-to-face contact. The percentage of face-to-face (in-classroom) hours and the percentage of online hours must be stipulated in the course syllabus so that the expectations are clear to students.

Transfer of Credits for Courses Taken at Other Schools

Students in good academic standing may enroll for a summer or special session at another institution as a way of advancing or supplementing their academic programs. Pre-approval from the Academic Advising Center is required. Students should provide their academic advisor with a proposal specifying courses to be taken and academic objectives to be met along with a description of the content for each of the proposed courses.

To be eligible for transfer, courses taken at other schools must

  1. be offered by an accredited institution,
  2. be substantially the same as courses regularly offered at the Greensburg campus or at other liberal arts and science colleges, and
  3. not be a repetition of any course taken previously.

Students with fewer than 60 credits earned can take summer or special session courses at a two-year school. Students with fewer than 90 credits can take summer or special session courses at four-year schools. All students must complete their last 30 credits at the Pitt-Greensburg campus.

Certification of Enrollment

Requests for certification of a student’s enrollment are processed by the Office of the Registrar. The student’s signature is required as a condition to the release of certification of enrollment information.

Attendance Policy

Normally, students are expected to attend classes. There is no University rule regarding attendance, but individual faculty members may set rules for their courses.

Academic Integrity

One essential condition of an open and progressive University community is personal integrity. This requires honesty in all academic work. Students who cheat, plagiarize or otherwise take improper advantage of the work of others are subject to a variety of penalties. First-offense penalties vary at the discretion of the instructor.  They may be failed on the particular piece of work in question or in the course in which dishonest work is committed. A second offense may mean suspension or permanent dismissal from the University. Students should consult section on Academic Integrity in the Student Handbook.

Student Self-Service Enrollment

Student Self-Service Enrollment allows students to enroll in classes and add/drop classes for a particular term and/or session. All undergraduate students are required to meet with an advisor prior to enrolling in classes. First-year students must also meet with an advisor to add or drop a class.  An Academic Advisement Required Hold has been placed on all undergraduate student records and students must see an advisor in order for the hold to be removed.

Each term students will be assigned an enrollment appointment, which indicates the date and time that the student becomes eligible to enroll for classes. Appointment information can be found in the “Student Center” at Students are assigned an enrollment appointment based on the total number of credits earned in their current career. A student’s enrollment appointment will begin on the date and time specified. Students may enroll and change their schedule until the end of the published add/drop period for a given term and or session. The deadlines for adding a course are published in Pitt-Greensburg’s Schedule of Classes for fall, spring, and summer terms.

Students should be aware that dropping a course or courses may affect athletic and/or financial aid eligibility.

Dropping Courses

Students who need to drop one or more courses may do so by using the Student Self-Service Enrollment process. After the deadline established for the term or session, a student can no longer drop a course, but may process a Monitored Withdrawal (see Withdrawing from Courses below).

Students who decide not to attend the University may drop all of the courses for which they are registered during the add/drop period with no financial liability. Students who make this decision after the add/drop period must process a resignation through the Office of the Registrar (see Resignation or Termination of Registration below).

Extended Drop Period

Under special circumstances, undergraduate students may be eligible to drop a course in the third week of the fall or spring semester, effective with the Spring 2018 semester. Students must meet all of the following criteria to drop a course during the extended drop period:

  • Undergraduate students at all campuses
  • Undergraduate courses
  • Fall and spring semesters
  • Students must remain in full-time status after dropping the course(s).
  • The student’s advisor must provide permission to drop.

Students must review the proposed drop with their academic advisor. If the student’s advisor finds that the student is eligible, the advisor will process the drop(s). If the student’s advisor cannot process the drop for any reason, then the advisor will request that the Registrar’s Office at the student’s campus process it.

Course Withdrawal (from one or more, but not all classes)

After the end of the add/drop period and until the end of the ninth week of the fall and spring terms (or the published deadlines for the various sessions of the summer term), a student may withdraw from any course and receive the grade of W. W grades have no effect on the student’s GPA and the credits do not count toward graduation. There is no tuition adjustment associated with a course withdrawal. A student wishing to withdraw from a course should obtain a Monitored Withdrawal Request form from the Office of the Registrar or from the Advising Center and obtain the course instructor’s signature. Signed Monitored Withdrawal Requests should be returned to the Office of the Registrar.

After the deadline for withdrawal, a student may withdraw from individual courses only in exceptional and extenuating circumstances and with the permission of Director of Academic Advising. Petitions for late withdrawals should be submitted to the Advising Center.

Students who wish to withdraw from all of their courses after the add/drop period should follow the procedures for Resignation or Termination of Registration below.

Resignation or Termination of Registration

After the end of the add/drop period, students who decide not to attend the University must resign from all courses through the Office of the Registrar. The deadline for resignation during the fall or spring term is the date on which 60 percent of the fall or spring term has been completed. The deadline for resignation or termination of registration is the last date for which students can expect any reduction in the tuition and fees they owe.

Adjustments to tuition charges resulting from official resignations are based on the effective date of resignation and in accordance with the federally-mandated calculation. (See Title IV Refund Policy for more information.) After the deadline, students will be responsible for all tuition and fees assessed for the term. Summer-term resignations are handled on a case-by-case basis because students may be registered for courses in different sessions.

An official resignation occurs when a student notifies the Office of the Registrar of his/her intent to terminate registration for all classes. The effective date of resignation is determined by one of the following: (1) the date of in-person contact with the Office of the Registrar, (2) the date of the postmark on the letter of intent to resign (or the date of receipt if no postmark exists), or (3) the date of telephone notification to the Office of the Registrar. R grades are assigned for all courses for which registration is terminated between the end of the add/drop period and the resignation deadline.

After the deadline for termination of registration or resignation, students may apply to the Director of Academic Affairs for permission to withdraw from each of their classes. Petitions for late withdrawals should be submitted the the Academic Advising Center.

Permission will be granted only in exceptional and extenuating circumstances. If permission is granted, students will receive W grades for all classes, but will still be responsible for all tuition and fee charges.

Failing to attend the classes for which a student is registered or failing to notify the appropriate administrative offices of nonattendance is not considered an official resignation. Students who fail to follow proper procedures for termination of their registration are responsible for all tuition and fees assessed for the term or session.

Grading Options, Letter Grades, and Other Grade Report Codes

Students may register for courses with different grading options that include letter grades, pass for credit, and audit. Numeric values are assigned to letters for the purposes of computing grade point averages (GPA). Other grade reporting codes are used to identify courses in which work is incomplete or courses from which a student has withdrawn or resigned. Definitions and details on grading options, grade reporting codes, and grade and grade point averages are provided in the following sections.

Letter Grades/Number Equivalents/Quality Points Earned per Credit

  A+ = 4  
  A = 4 Superior attainment
  A- = 3.75  
  B+ = 3.25  
  B = 3 Meritorious attainment
  B- = 2.75  
  C+ = 2.25  
  C = 2 Adequate attainment
  C- = 1.75  
  D+ = 1.25  
  D = 1 Minimal attainment
  D- = 0.75  
  F = 0 Failure

Auditing Classes (N Grades)

Any course offered by the Greensburg campus may be audited by any student who has been admitted to Pitt-Greensburg. Audited courses appear on the transcript with a grade of N, but no credit is earned. Regular tuition rates apply to audited classes.

Satisfactory/No Credit Grading Option (S or NC Grades)

Some courses may be taken on a pass-for credit basis. A student enrolled in a course on a pass for credit basis receives either a grade of S or NC. An S grade is approximately equivalent to a letter grade of C or better and means that the student will receive credit for the course. An NC grade means that the student will not receive credit for the course. S and NC grades are not included in the calculation of the GPA. No more than 12 credits with S grades may be counted toward graduation. Students must declare their decision to choose the pass-for-credit grading basis by the deadline published in the Schedule of Classes.

Incomplete Grade (G Grades)

When students are prevented by circumstances beyond their control from completing a course and it is too late to withdraw, an instructor may assign a G grade. The G grade option should only be available when the student has been attending a course and has been making regular progress. There should be some compact, clearly defined collection of work (e.g., a final examination or a term paper) to be performed to complete the work of the course. The instructor has discretion to decide if a G grade is appropriate and is under no compulsion to grant a G grade for substantially incomplete work. If a significant part of the work is incomplete and the student has not officially withdrawn, the appropriate grade is an F.

A G grade must be replaced by a final grade during the student’s next term in residence or within one year in the case of students who are not in attendance the following term; otherwise, the privilege of completing it is withdrawn and the G grade is changed to an F.  An uncompleted G grade remains on the transcript but does not count in calculating the GPA. The student must arrange with the instructor for the completion of a G grade. Only the instructor who gave the G grade can change it; if he/she becomes unavailable by leaving the University, the credits may be lost.

Grade Point Average (GPA)

The Grade Point Average (GPA) is the numeric indication of a student’s academic achievement based on a 4.00 grade point scale. Undergraduates must have a 2.00 GPA in order to graduate from the University of Pittsburgh. The value is the average of total letter grades earned and is available by term or career. Some academic centers may also maintain degree and/or major/departmental GPA values. The following example illustrates the calculation of the GPA.

Course Grade Numeric Value Credits Quality Points
ENGCMP 0020 A+ 4 3 12
FS 0002 B 3 1 3
BIOSC 0170 B 3 4 12
PSY 0010 C- 1.75 3 5.25
PS 0200 D+ 1.25 3 3.75
Totals     14 36
GPA (36 divided by 14) = 2.57    

All courses taken for credit on the letter-grade system, except repeated courses and transfer credits, are included in the computation of the official GPA, which is determined in the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Inclusion on the Dean’s List, honors at graduation, and placement on probation depend directly on this GPA.

Grade Reports

At the end of each term or session, the University posts student grades online. Students may access their grade reports through the portal page. This report shows the total credits earned, the grade earned in each course taken during the period covered by the grade report, as well as the associated grade points earned.


Official transcripts of a student’s academic record can be requested through an online ordering system ( or in person by the student.  In-person requests are made in the Office of the Registrar, University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, 120 Millstein Library.  The student’s signature and a photo ID are required as a condition of the release of academic transcripts. Telephoned requests cannot be honored. A fee of $3 is assessed for each copy issued to the student and a fee of $6 is assessed for each copy mailed to a designated recipient.  An active student may request an unofficial copy of a transcript once each term without charge. Transcripts are withheld if the student has an outstanding financial obligation to the University or a judicial hold.

Dean’s List

This honor list is published at the end of the fall and spring terms. This list includes the names of all students who earned a minimum term GPA of 3.25 with no grade less than C- and who took a minimum of 12 credits per term for a letter grade if full-time, or six credits per term for a letter grade if part-time.

Course Repetitions

  1. A student may repeat any course, except as noted below; however, only the repeated grade is counted toward the degree goal.
  2. No sequence course may be repeated for credit after a higher numbered course in that sequence has been passed with a C or higher grade.
  3. No course may be repeated at any other institution and the grade accepted as a replacement for the original grade earned at the University of Pittsburgh.
  4. The grade earned by repeating a course is used in lieu of the grade originally earned even if it is lower than the original grade. The original course registration and grade remain on the academic record, but the grade and credits originally earned are not counted in the computation of the GPA. The repeated course does not increase the number of credits counted toward meeting the degree requirements unless an F is replaced by a passing grade.
  5. A W, R, or N grade reported for the repeated course will not be identified as a course repeat; thus, the original grade earned will continue to be counted in the GPA. Incomplete (G) grades will not be identified as repeated courses until the course work is completed.
  6. Students may repeat a course no more than two times without the approval of the vice president for academic affairs.
  7. The repeated course must be the same as that in which the original grade was earned. In extenuating circumstances, with the approval of the vice president for academic affairs, the student may substitute another course of similar content.

Academic Probation and Suspension

Students are expected to achieve good academic standing, a minimum 2.00 cumulative GPA, every semester. Students who fail to earn the minimum cumulative GPA requirement are placed on academic probation, but are allowed to enroll and attend classes at Pitt-Greensburg. All student records are reviewed at the end of each semester to determine which students are having academic difficulty and have not met the minimum GPA requirement. Those who lack the minimum requirements for good academic standing are notified of their probationary status by mail and email.  The information received will describe the terms of their probation and the deadline by which their cumulative GPA must be raised above 2.0.

The academic progress of students on probation is monitored on a term-by-term basis. Students will remain on academic probation for one or two semesters.   If a student does not sufficiently raise their cumulative GPA above 2.0 within the timeframe stated in the probation letter, the student will be suspended from the University. Probationary students are encouraged to retake courses in which they have earned the grades of F or D to quickly repair their GPA. A student’s academic status (e.g. good academic standing, academic probation, suspension, etc.) is part of the students’ academic record, but not recorded on the transcript.  Probationary students who do not show progress toward achieving good academic standing are subject to suspension for a minimum of one semester or dismissal from the University.

Students who have been suspended from the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg are not permitted to take classes for at least one semester.  During the period of suspension, and in consultation with their academic advisor, a student who has been suspended may be permitted to transfer one course from another institution for each semester on suspension.  All transfer credit policies apply.  Courses previously taken at the University of Pittsburgh cannot be repeated at another institution.  Students must earn a minimum grade of C or better and only the credits, not the grades will transfer in.  Students wishing to return to the University of Pittsburgh Greensburg after their suspension period must contact the Advising Office.  If a student chooses to extend their time away from the University beyond the specified period, reinstatement may be required.  All students returning from academic suspension are expected to work closely with the academic advising staff and other campus resources to achieve good academic standing.

Reinstatement After Suspension

Students who have been suspended may apply for reinstatement after the suspension period. A formal application for reinstatement should be submitted to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs at least a month prior to the beginning of the term in which the student plans to enroll. Students seeking reinstatement who have been away more than 12 months must pay an application fee. Favorable action can be expected if the student provides evidence that he/she can pursue an academic program with some prospects for success.

Students who are readmitted after suspension may carry only those credits approved by the vice president for academic affairs. If such a student does not achieve a satisfactory record for his/her approved program of courses, he/she will be permanently dismissed without appeal.

Any courses that a student may take at another institution during a period of suspension will not be granted credit by the University after that student has been reinstated.

Active Status and Reinstatement/Readmission after Nonattendance

A student is active when admitted and enrolled in the term of admission. A student is considered to be enrolled only when officially registered with the Registrar in accordance with established University policies. Once students have been admitted to and enrolled at Pitt-Greensburg, they are eligible to continue as long as they maintain satisfactory academic standing and continue to register during the fall and spring terms until they have earned degrees.

Students become inactive when: (1) as new or readmitted students they do not enroll in the term of admission/readmission, (2) they have not enrolled for at least one credit during three consecutive terms, or (3) they have graduated. An inactive student is not permitted to use University facilities or to receive counseling or active supervision by a faculty member, advisor, or committee.

Students who do not enroll in the term of admission/readmission may defer admission or readmission for up to one year. Requests to defer admission should be addressed in writing to the Office of Admissions. Students who do not enroll within one year of their initial admission to Pitt-Greensburg must reapply before registering for classes. Readmission is not automatic. The student must meet all current admission and degree requirements.

Once they have been admitted and enrolled, students are expected to maintain their active status with the University until they graduate. Students who are absent from the University for a year (i.e., do not enroll for at least one credit during three consecutive terms) must apply for and be granted reinstatement before they may resume their programs. Reinstatement requires formal application to the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs at least one month prior to the beginning of a term. If the reasons given in the reinstatement application clearly indicate that the student can resume his/her program with reasonable expectation of completion, and if the vice president for academic affairs has no other grounds for denying the request, favorable action can be expected. Applications for reinstatement should be submitted during the registration period (i.e., week seven to week 12) of the term preceding the term for which the student seeks reinstatement so that students may meet with an advisor for help in selecting courses and planning their programs. The student’s status upon reinstatement will be that which he/she attained at the end of his/her last term in residence or at the beginning of the term during which resignation took place. Applicants will be notified by letter of the action taken on their applications.

Students who interrupt their studies at Pitt-Greensburg for one or more terms to attend another institution must apply for readmission to the University as a transfer student. This rule does not apply to students who, with the permission of the vice president for academic affairs, attend another institution as part of their academic programs. Please refer to the regulations for transfer admission. Readmission is not automatic. The student must meet all current admission and degree requirements.

Statute of Limitations

All the credits required for a degree, whether earned on the Pitt-Greensburg campus or transferred from another institution, must have been earned no more than 12 years prior to the date on which the degree is awarded. However, when given evidence that the previous courses still provide adequate preparation for courses yet to be taken and the courses yet to be taken represent a reasonable part of the total academic program, the Vice President for Academic Affairs may waive this limitation. In such cases, the waiver is for a specific period during which the program must be completed.



The Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree will be awarded upon the fulfillment of the following conditions:

  1. Completion of all required courses satisfactorily; that is, at least 120 credits of academic work at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg in one of the prescribed curricula by completion of courses, by advanced standing, or by examinations.
  2. Application for a degree when the student has earned 90 credits.
  3. Completion of the senior-year coursework (the last 30 credits) at the University.
  4. Achievement of minimum overall grade point average of 2.00 in courses taken at the University with a minimum 2.00 grade point average in the major.  (Some departments have more stringent requirements.  Consult the Program Descriptions in this publication.)
  5. Recommendation for a degree by the duly constituted authority of the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg.


When students have earned 90 credits, they must file an application for graduation with the Senior Academic Advisor. Compliance with this deadline will enable the Academic Advising Office to make a complete appraisal of the student’s record. Any deficiency disclosed by the evaluation should be corrected promptly by the student.


Those students in a graduating class who have attained an outstanding scholastic record may be graduated with honors. To qualify for honors, a student must have completed at least 60 letter-graded credits at the University of Pittsburgh and attained a cumulative GPA of 3.25 for cum laude, 3.50 for magna cum laude, and 3.75 for summa cum laude. The graduation honors for the purposes of the spring graduation ceremony are based on the records of students at the end of the fall semester. Graduation honors reported on the official diploma and recorded in the permanent record are based on the student’s complete record through the end of the final semester.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

In compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974, commonly referred to as the Buckley Amendment, the University guarantees that students have the right to inspect all personally identifiable records maintained by the institution and may challenge the content and accuracy of those records through appropriate institutional procedures. It is further guaranteed by the University that student records containing personally identifiable information will not be released except as permitted by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. See for more information on FERPA.

Catalog Navigation